Friday, November 12, 2010

College!


I recently visited Rhodes College (a prospective college of mine) in order to get some closure on this hell they call the college search process. When I first stepped on the campus last summer, I immediately fell in love with the beautiful architecture the buildings display. Ironically, this type of architecture is the same that we are studying in my Art History class right now. Gothic. From stained glass windows to rib vaults with pointed arches, Rhodes wholeheartedly embodies the Gothic design. The best example of this can be found in the dining hall. Clerestory windows line the ceilings, letting light illuminate the room in ways similar to Amiens Cathedral and pointed arches hang over the front entrance, providing students with a beautiful sight before they head off to lunch.

The architecture stays consistent from building to building. The dormitories use the same exact stones that the library uses (which is quite an accomplishment considering these were built 100 years apart from each other and apparently the stones are still taken from the same quarry) and the science building uses the same stones as the humanities building. In a way, Rhodes could be called a Gothic enthusiast's paradise. Walking around the campus makes you feel like you are walking through a great cathedral in Europe. I definitely can see myself spending the next four years of my life there. That granted, there are about nine other schools that I can see myself spending the next four years of my life at. This is the hell that they call the college search process.

1 comment: